Anyone who has stood in a painfully sluggish line has certainly wished there was a greater means. This is very true at many airports throughout Canada, the place passengers should wait in infinite traces to enter the United States.
While getting a NEXUS card is at all times a secure guess, US Customs and Border Protection has not too long ago launched Mobile Passport Control to some Canadian pre-clearance areas. Using this app is solely elective, however it might be a free method to pace up your entry into the US.
Let’s check out Mobile Passport Control and why you may need to think about using it in your subsequent journey to the United States.
What Is Mobile Passport Control?
Mobile Passport Control is a free app from United States Customs and Border Protection. The app lets customers add data in advance, which in the end accelerates their processing time when crossing into the United States.
Currently, utilizing Mobile Passport Control in Canada is barely doable at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) and Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL). The know-how is slated to roll out at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on the finish of September.
Using the applying, vacationers can add their passport data, reply just a few questions on their journey, and take a selfie.
Once the knowledge is distributed, a QR code is generated that’s legitimate for 4 hours. At the airport, you merely current your passport(s) and the QR code to the border officer, who then processes your entry as per normal.
A single submission will be made for all members of a household touring collectively, which makes the method much less cumbersome and extra handy.
Using the app is supposed to save lots of time. Keep an eye fixed out for a separate Mobile Passport Control lineup on the airport, as you might be able to bypass one of many endlessly lengthy traces that everybody else is standing in.
Some early knowledge factors from neighborhood members counsel that the Mobile Passport Control line is way shorter than the common traces. If you are ready on a pending NEXUS software, or if you cannot be bothered, then it is a free choice that saves you time on the airport.
Note that solely US residents or Canadians getting into the United States on a B1 or B2 visa can use Mobile Passport Control. This consists of short-term entry for tourism and enterprise, so it needs to be relevant to most travellers heading to the United States.
Where Can You Use Mobile Passport Control?
In Canada, there are presently solely two airports the place Mobile Passport Control can be utilized: Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and Montreal Trudeau (YUL). Vancouver (YVR) could have Mobile Passport Control by the tip of September.
There are 38 airports and seaports in the United States and Canada the place Mobile Passport Control could also be used. These embody:
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Daniel Okay. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
- Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- William P. Hobby Houston International Airport (HOU)
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Miami Seaport
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Palm Beach Seaport
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
- Port Everglades Seaport
- Portland International Airport (PDX)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- San Juan Airport (SJU)
- San Juan Seaport
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
How to Use Mobile Passport Control
Using Mobile Passport Control is kind of straightforward, and it may be damaged down into 4 steps:
Step 1: Download the App
The app is accessible from Google Play and the Apple App Store.
Step 2: Create a Profile
Once the app is put in, merely create a profile for every member of your family in the app. This step is not mandatory, however it should pace up the method of producing a QR code, as you will not should enter in your data each time.
You can retailer data for as much as 12 vacationers from the identical family in the app.
Step 3: Fill In the CBP Form & Take a Selfie
On the principle display, enter in the small print for your entry. You’ll must fill in the tactic of entry (by air or by boat), in addition to the port of entry.
You’ll be requested to fill in customary details about your self, and reply just a few questions on your journey. You’ll additionally should take an image of every passenger touring with you, which you are able to do with the app and your machine’s digital camera.
Once all the knowledge is efficiently entered, a QR code might be generated. You can discover it in the “Receipt” tab on the app’s house web page.
Step 4: Present the QR Code on the Border
At the airport, preserve an eye fixed out for an expedited Mobile Passport Control lane. If one is accessible, you may bypass the common line, which may outcome in saving you a bunch of time.
At the border, current your passport and the QR code from the app. The border officer will course of your entry as per normal, however the course of needs to be sooner than in case you have been to undergo the common course of.
Of course, it will not enable you to in case you’ve been tagged for Secondary Security Screening Selection. If that is the case, hopefully you’ve got arrived effectively in advance of your flight’s departure.
Mobile Passport Control is now accessible at two Canadian airports for US pre-clearance at Toronto and Montreal. As of the tip of September, it is going to be accessible in Vancouver, too.
As NEXUS facilities in Canada have but to, and discovering an appointment in the United States will be troublesome, this may be a pleasant bridging measure to assist save time on the border reopening. The better part is that it is free, so there is no want so as to add one other expense to your journey funds.
I’ll give this a shot the subsequent time I journey to the United States, however in the meantime, preserve us posted with any knowledge factors on how a lot time (if any) Mobile Passport Control has saved you.