Editorial Note: We earn a fee from accomplice hyperlinks on Forbes Advisor. Commissions don’t have an effect on our editors’ opinions or evaluations.
This summer time was poised to be a season of “revenge journey.” But spiking demand, understaffed airways and extreme storms flipped the script on many of us who have been decided to journey prefer it was 2019.
A current Forbes Advisor survey of 2,000 vacationers revealed that 61% of respondents skilled flight delays or cancellations this summer time. And 83% misplaced cash in consequence of journey points, including one other painful layer to what many hoped can be a “regular” summer time journey season.
Which of the next have you ever skilled whereas touring this summer time?
Flight Delays and Cancellations Carry a Hefty Cost for Travelers
Flight delays and cancellations could put an actual damper in your trip spirits, and so they can be a monetary blow. Among vacationers surveyed, 83% misplaced cash attributable to journey issues.
Losses attributable to flight cancellations and delays typically lengthen effectively past the airport, as vacationers miss out on pre-paid lodge rooms, cruises and different actions. Airport parking, transportation and canine kenneling bills additionally led to losses, in accordance with survey respondents.
Just how a lot vacationers have misplaced this summer time because of airport mishaps?
More than half of respondents (59%) misplaced $500 or much less, and others have been much less lucky:
- Nearly one in 4 vacationers (24%) misplaced greater than $500.
- 14% reported shedding greater than $1,000.
Overall, summer time vacationers misplaced a mean of $838—greater than double the nationwide common value of a home flight, primarily based on knowledge from the United States Department of Transportation.
Travelers might be able to reduce the monetary blow related to delayed or canceled flights by buying journey insurance coverage. The greatest journey insurance coverage embrace journey delay insurance coverage, which might reimburse the prices of pre-paid, non-refundable inns, transportation and actions you miss out on in case your flight plans go awry.
Compare & Buy Travel Insurance
How a lot cash did you lose in consequence of your flight delay or cancellation? (Include the associated fee of your aircraft ticket, cruise, airport parking, transportation, canine kenneling, unused lodge rooms and pay as you go actions)
Related: 10 Worst US Airports For Flight Cancellations And Delays This Week
Top Ways Flight Delays and Cancellations Cause Travel Chaos
Some vacationers have been fortunate sufficient to flee airport chaos comparatively unscathed, however others contended with the whole lot from extra bills to missed journeys.
Here are the highest summer time journey issues in accordance with our survey:
- Nearly one in three vacationers (31%) arrived at their lodge or resort later than deliberate and needed to pay for an evening they did not use.
- More than one in 4 respondents (26%) needed to pay out of pocket for transportation and lodge rooms whereas ready for the subsequent accessible flight.
- 19% of vacationers misplaced cash on pay as you go actions they missed attributable to delays or cancellations.
- 17% missed milestone occasions, similar to weddings, graduations and household reunions.
- Another 17% of vacationers needed to cancel their journey plans fully and misplaced cash on airport parking, transportation, canine kenneling and/or unused lodge rooms.
- 13% of vacationers reported that flight cancellations and delays make them miss a cruise.
Flight Delays and Cancellations Left Travelers Stranded on the Airport for More Than 5 Hours on Average
If you are planning to journey this yr, you could wish to seize a guide or make certain your streaming apps are in working order. On common, flight delays and cancellations left vacationers ready a mean of 5.2 hours for his or her travels to renew.
- The majority of vacationers surveyed (55%) have been in a position to resume their journey in 4 hours or much less, however others have been much less lucky.
- 43% of vacationers have been stranded for greater than 5 hours, with 11% reporting they waited between seven and 9 hours to renew their flights.
- An unlucky 15% needed to arrange camp for 10 hours or extra.
When your authentic flight was delayed or canceled, how lengthy did it’s important to wait on the airport for the subsequent accessible flight?
Baggage Delays and Damaged Luggage Add to Frustrations
Lost baggage is not a brand new journey downside, however the quantity of baggage misplaced or delayed has elevated alongside current delays, cancellations and staffing points.
Nearly half of the vacationers we surveyed (48%) stated they’d baggage misplaced or delayed this summer time. Nearly 1 / 4 (23%) have been reunited with their baggage in as little as 24 hours, and 55% acquired it in three days or much less.
A fast reunion wasn’t at all times the case. On common, vacationers who skilled baggage delays have been with out their baggage for 4 days.
- Nearly one in 4 vacationers surveyed (24%) needed to wait between 4 and 6 days to see their baggage once more
- An extra 22% of respondents waited every week or extra to be reunited with their belongings.
- An unlucky 11% of respondents by no means acquired their baggage.
And regardless that most respondents stated their baggage was in nice situation when it was returned, 38% stated it was barely broken. Six p.c could also be out there for a brand new suitcase, as they stated their baggage got here again severely battered.
Lost baggage saddles vacationers with surprising prices
Lost baggage is not simply an inconvenience. Travelers compelled to cope with baggage delays, particularly ones that span the higher half of every week, typically must buy requirements. That can add an surprising upfront value, even for individuals who bought baggage insurance coverage:
- The majority of vacationers (62%) have been in a position to change the contents of their baggage for $300 or much less.
- About 1 / 4 of these surveyed (27%) needed to pay greater than $400
- 10% spent $1,000 or extra.
- Travelers who misplaced their baggage spent a mean of $556 to switch their gadgets.
How a lot did you pay out of pocket to switch the contents of your misplaced or delayed baggage?
More Than Half of Travelers Had to Take a Flight to Pick up Lost Luggage
What occurred to vacationers left eager for their baggage effectively after the luggage belt stopped?
Some of them (15%) have been fortunate sufficient to have their belongings delivered, whereas 13% needed to drive again to the airport to choose up their baggage.
Reuniting with baggage wasn’t as simple for 71% of respondents, many of whom needed to take an surprising expedition to reclaim their possessions:
- For 17% of airport respondents, that meant driving an in one other metropolis.
- 21% of summer time vacationers stated they needed to take a brief flight to choose up their baggage
- 33% needed to fly to a far-away airport to get their issues.
Did it’s important to journey to choose up your baggage when it was delayed?
Canceled Flights, Delays and Lost Luggage Were Most Common While Traveling within the US
Cancellation, delays and misplaced baggage have been widespread experiences among the many majority of vacationers we surveyed. For our survey respondents, the brunt of the summer time journey difficulties fell on these touring domestically.
More than half of vacationers (54%) skilled at the very least one of these airport inconveniences whereas touring throughout the US In addition:
- 9% of summer time vacationers skilled these journey points whereas flying to Mexico.
- 7% on a visit to the United Kingdom.
- 5% whereas heading to Canada.
Evidence of US airline points, particularly the financial affect they’ve on vacationers, have been within the highlight in current weeks, prompting the Department of Transportation (DOT) to take motion.
On Aug. 3, 2022, Pete Buttigieg, the US Secretary of Transportation, introduced a DOT proposal that will crack down on how and when airways should reimburse passengers who expertise delays and cancellations on flights. The proposal is open for public remark for 90 days following its preliminary publication date.
Where have been you touring to once you skilled a flight delay, flight cancellation or misplaced your baggage?
Flight Delays and Cancellations Drive Travel Insurance Purchases
The pandemic could have fueled the summer time of “revenge journey” however Covid-19 is not a number one concern amongst vacationers who bought journey insurance coverage.
Some summer time vacationers (15%) cited considerations about flight cancellations and delays as one of the primary causes they’re a journey insurance coverage coverage. The identical quantity (15%) report buying journey insurance coverage for easy peace of thoughts amid summer time journey chaos.
Only 10% journey insurance coverage this summer time out of concern for a constructive Covid-19 take a look at, probably signaling a shift because the US and different international locations transfer to loosen or take away journey restrictions.
If to procure journey insurance coverage in your trip, what was the primary motive for buying it?
How Travel Insurance Protects Your Trip Investment
A complete journey insurance coverage plan combines a spread of protection sorts that may defend you financially in case your journey is delayed, interrupted or canceled. The greatest journey insurance coverage will embrace these sorts of protection.
- Travel medical insurance coverage. If you get injured or sick in your journey, journey medical insurance coverage may also help pay for medical prices like hospital payments, X-rays, lab work and drugs.
- Trip cancellation insurance coverage. If your journey is canceled attributable to a motive listed in your coverage, journey cancellation insurance coverage reimburses you 100% of the cash you lose.
- Trip delay insurance coverage. If your journey is delayed attributable to a motive lined by your coverage, journey delay insurance coverage reimburses you for additional bills similar to a lodge room and restaurant meals.
- Trip interruption insurance coverage. If your journey is interrupted attributable to an issue lined by your coverage, journey interruption insurance coverage will pay for a final-minute flight residence in an emergency and reimburse your pre-paid, non-refundable bills that you simply lose.
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance coverage. If you turn out to be injured or sick and have to be transported to the closest medical facility, emergency medical evacuation insurance coverage may also help cowl the associated fee.
- baggage insurance coverage. If your gadgets are delayed, misplaced or stolen in your journey, baggage insurance coverage covers baggage and private possessions. Reimbursement will likely be for the depreciated worth of your belongings.
Compare & Buy Travel Insurance
This on-line survey of 2,000 US adults who traveled on a aircraft since June 1, 2022, was commissioned by Forbes Advisor and carried out by market analysis firm OnePoll, in accordance with the Market Research Society’s code of conduct. Data was collected Aug. 3-9, 2022. The margin of error is +/- 2.2 factors with 95% confidence. This survey was overseen by the OnePoll analysis crew, which is a member of the MRS and has a company membership with the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR). For an entire survey methodology, together with geographic and demographic pattern sizes, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.